A Letter From Dr. Erin Whitney
Hello friends of JIRP,
We were so energized after all the events several weeks ago in Juneau. Thank you to those of you who attended our Fireside Chat at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. We were sincerely touched by your engagement and support for JIRP (and we know the rest of you were there in spirit!).
A number of people have asked how they can help, so we’ve compiled a list below of goods and services that would help us maintain our focus on gains in education and research.
(1) 15-passenger van(s) to transport participants around Juneau (~June 23-30 and August 15-18);
(2) Groceries and meals for a visiting graduate student for a week in late March while he works on an icefield history compilation;
(3) Discounted bus rental to transport participants from Atlin, B.C. to Skagway for the ferry back to Juneau at the end of the season (~August 15/16);
(4) Food for participants during Juneau week or on the icefield (currently using Fred Meyer and Costco);
(5) Alaska Airlines mileage awards to support travel for staff and faculty;
(6) Medical doctors to participate and volunteer their services on the icefield;
(7) Gear donations for participants (skis, ski boots, ski poles, ice axes, crampons, climbing harnesses, clothing, tents, sleeping bags and pads);
(8) Helicopter flights onto the icefield for supplies and visiting faculty (Coastal Helicopters only, please);
(9) Funds for student scholarships, laptops, research equipment, building maintenance and repairs, and a planned Artist-in-Residence program (you can donate directly through our website.
We will consider other creative ideas as well. Please forward this list to your friends. And if you or someone you know can help, please get in touch either by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (907-500-8913). Thank you again for your support. Our connection with you is what keeps us strong, sustainable, and continually evolving.
Dr. Erin Whitney
JIRP Executive Director
The Juneau Icefield Research Program is run by volunteers and relies heavily on volunteer effort and charitable contributions to sustain its annual mission to provide an unparalleled educational and expeditionary experience. Please consider helping JIRP and its non-profit parent organization (Foundation for Glacier and Environmental Research) through a number of different ways. Write a check and send it directly to our Juneau office or with a credit card directly to several different scholarship funds:
Donate to the FGER - General Fund: Donations are used to fund all aspects of JIRP
The success of JIRP is due to the efforts of volunteers and contributors such as yourself. We greatly appreciate your continued support and look forward to a bright future with your continued efforts to help JIRP. We are greatful for past support from:
Alaska Air National Guard
Alaska Electric Light and Power
Alaska Department of Highways
Alaska Maritime Lines
American Geographical Society (AGS)
ARCO Alaska Inc.
Arctic Institute of North America
Arizona State University
The Bendix Corporation
The Boeing Company
Bundeswehr University – Munich, Germany
China National Geosciences University
Changchun University of Earth Sciences
Coeur d’Alene Mines Corp.
Echo Bay Mines
Explorers Club, NYC
Fed. Office of Water Resources Research
Grey Line of Alaska
J.L. Darling Co.
Longyear Drilling Company
Michigan State University
Mass. Institute of Technology (MIT)
Margaret C. Moore Trust
M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust
National Geographic Society (NGS)
National Science Foundation (NSF)
National Surveying Co.
National Weather Service
Naval Oceanographic Office
Nepal Bureau of Mines and Geology
Office of Naval Research (ONR)
Pacific Science Center
Barb and Dan Reid Fund
Rotary Club of Juneau
Salzburg University, Austria
Susman and Asher Foundation
Tribhuvan University, Nepal
Union Oil Co.
University of Alaska
University of Hokkaido, Japan
University of Idaho
University of New Brunswick, Canada
University of Wyoming
U.S. Air Force (USAF)
U.S. Army Research Office (ARO)
U.S. Department of Commerce
U.S. Department of Interior
U.S. Forest Service (USFS)
U.S. Geological Society
Veterans of Foreign Wars, Juneau
Washington Water Power (Avista)
and numerous individual donors.
Other Ways to Support Us
Support our organization through JIRP's online store- anything from calendars to posters and mugs: To visit our online shop, click here.
Use Amazon Smile
When you shop at AmazonSmile, Amazon donates 0.5% of the purchase price to Foundation for Environmental and Glacier Research. Bookmark the link: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/91-6063843 and support us every time you shop (with no extra cost to you).
Foundation for Glacier and Environmental Research is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
*Please note if your donation is for the General Fund, JWM JIRP Scholarship Fund, or the M3 JIRP Legacy Fund. Make checks payable to FGER. All donations are tax deductible.